The mill of the Argentina Valley
Molini di Triora owes its name to the many mills that once milled cereals and chestnuts, the main sources of livelihood in the upper Argentina Valley. It is even said that there were 23, thanks to the quantity of raw materials to be processed. In the heart of the village stands Casa Balestra, an ancient residence used as a museum where the ways of life of the past are still witnessed. The main feature of this mountain village is water: here the Argentina torrent, the Rio Capriolo and the Rio Corte converge. Famous, especially in summer, is the “Laghetto dei Noci” (small lake of walnut trees) which attracts tourists and inhabitants of the valley.
Another emblem of the village is the Sanctuary of the Madonna della Montà, with the attached cemetery, which houses frescoes by Dragone, a Piedmontese painter, and altarpieces by local artists. Traditions and legends are linked to the Sanctuary which still arouse curiosity.
San Giovanni Lantrua, martyr and missionary canonized by Pope John Paul II, was also born in Molini di Triora in 1760.
The commemoration of the massacre Nazis made on 4 July 1944 in which some inhabitants of Molini di Triora and Andagna tragically lost their lives, is very heartfelt.
The nature of the municipal territory is luxuriant, at times still very wild, and alternates woods of the valley floor, such as the one that surround Lake Degno, to high pastures like those of the Passo della Mezzaluna. There are also several paths that cross the village and that leave from it to reach Triora, Cetta and more distant destinations.
Testo a cura di Nicola Ferrarese,Melania D’Alessandro, immagini di Doriana Agnelli