The village of a cappella
Ceriana, of probable Roman origins, is a fortified village with narrow alleys, walls and access doors.
The history and culture of the town are characterized by the presence of four confraternities: the Neri (black) of the Oratory of Madonna Addolorata (Our Lady of Sorrows), the Verdi (green) of Santa Marta, the Azzurri (blue) of the Madonna della Visitazione and the Rossi (red) of Santa Caterina. The latter is the oldest, founded in 1340.
The confraternities maintain the Cerianasque tradition of a cappella on the solemnities of the liturgical year. The secular polyphonic song, recorded in 1954 by the American ethnomusicologist Alan Lomax, is today represented by the Compagnia Sacco music group.
Testo a cura di Nicola Ferrarese, immagini di Claudio Cecchi.